Unfortunately, many people wrongly assume that auto and umbrella insurance policies will provide reimbursement for all aspects of an accident on the road. Instead, both of these policies cover your liability and provide compensation to others if you are responsible for an accident. However, if another driver causes an accident and doesn’t have enough insurance coverage to compensate you, your auto or umbrella policies won’t be enough.

If another driver doesn’t have enough insurance coverage to pay for your medical bills, you could face extremely high costs or lengthy court battles. However, by purchasing stand-alone uninsured (UM) or underinsured (UIM) motorist coverage—or by adding the coverage as an endorsement to your umbrella policy—you can be fully protected on the road.

  • Uninsured motorists simply don’t purchase an auto insurance policy. As a result, if they cause an accident, there isn’t a policy in place to reimburse you for medical bills. According to the Insurance Research Council, approximately 1 in 7 drivers in the United States are completely uninsured.
  • Underinsured motorists have an insurance policy, but don’t have a high enough coverage limit to pay for all of the expenses of an accident. Some states only require a small amount of coverage, which won’t be enough to pay all of your medical expenses.

It’s also important to know that hit-and-run accidents—those in which a driver flees—fall into the same category as uninsured motorists, as there is no insurance policy in place to cover the driver’s liability.

To protect yourself from these risks, it’s important to talk to your 3000 Insurance Group representative about a stand-alone policy or an endorsement to your umbrella coverage.

Coverage Specifics

Without UM or UIM coverage, you’re essentially paying more for the protection of strangers than you are for yourself and your family. And, although uninsured and underinsured drivers are all too common, many people believe that they have coverage if someone else causes an accident.

UM or UIM policies are available, as are endorsements to umbrella policies that can protect you from uninsured or underinsured drivers.

Since UM/UIM coverage is valuable protection for you and your passengers in the event of an accident with an un- or under-insured motorist or hit-and-run event, it’s generally a good idea to purchase the same amount of coverage as your regular auto policy.

Contact us today at (405) 521-1600 to examine your auto insurance coverage and ensure that you and your family are safe on the road.


© 2016 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved. This document is not intended to be exhaustive nor should any discussion or opinions be construed as legal advice. Readers should contact legal counsel or an insurance professional for appropriate advice.