Here are a few tips as you prepare for storm season, to help you evaluate your insurance, create a home inventory, and prepare emergency plans for your household:
Evaluate and update your insurance
- Make sure your homeowners policy has appropriate limits for dwelling, contents, and scheduled items.
- Consider purchasing earthquake and flood insurance if you haven’t already.
- If you don’t own a home, make sure you have a renters insurance policy to protect your belongings.
- Make sure you understand and are comfortable with your Loss of Use protection, should you have to find another place to stay while your home is being repaired.
- Create or update your home inventory. In addition to descriptions and values of your contents, consider recording the serial numbers of your electronics and equipment, taking pictures of unique contents or features of your home, and getting updated appraisals to update any scheduled items, such as antiques, jewelry, collectibles, and firearms. Not only will this help if your items are damaged by a storm or fire, but also in the event of theft. Providing serial numbers and pictures for a police report could help in the recovery of stolen items.