Indpendent Contractors are not employees under Oklahoma Workers’ Compensation law. Many factors are considered when determining whether a worker is an independent contractor or an employee for purposes of Workers’ Compensation.

In the past, Independent Contractors could provide an Affidavit of Exempt Status for your files; however Senate Bill 455 Section 29 repealed the Affidavit of Exempt Status under the Insurance Code, and those affidavits are no longer valid.

Click here for the new Application for Certificate of Noncoverage for Workers Compensation. Subcontractors and independent contractors can apply with a $50 fee to the Workers Compensation Commission to receive a Certificate of Noncoverage valid for two years.

You should obtain a Worker’s Compensation certificate of coverage from independent contractors and subcontractors who carry Workers’ Compensation insurance.

To avoid providing Workers Compensation insurance for subcontractors or independent contractors who don’t carry their own Workers’ Compensation policy, you must have a copy of the Certificate of Noncoverage on file.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No